Although I am a fan of cheesyness in general I’m not big on cheesy adult games, and I’d never seen any done intelligently, so when I first found out that I was getting Truth or Dare: A Game of Passion from Good Vibrations to review I was far from enthused. I thought I would look at it a few times for review purposes and then toss it into a box and forget about it.
While I can’t say for sure if I am going to be using it over and over again I do think it is one of the best and most intelligently thought out adult card games I have ever seen. I have a couple adult games that were given to me as gifts over the years which are extremely basic and cheesy asking questions that sounded like they were written by a giggling teenager who thought it was really funny to say “sex.” This ended up making the games not very fun to play.
Truth or Dare: A Game of Passion is different, however. It is gender-neutral so people of all genders can play easily, though it does use terms like “opposite sex” and does not leave room for the possibility of multiple partners, but those are just about the extent of my problems with it.
The questions encourage thought about sexuality and sexual desires as well as bonding between partners and exploration of the current relationship. It doesn’t leave room for basic one-word answers, the questions are often long and in-depth to evoke in-depth answers.
The dares incorporate some of the classic dares such as prank phone calls (with sex-related twists), role playing, exposing yourself, and so on. They are often cliche but set out in a manner that actually makes them new and fun to do. The cards themselves range from innocent to kinky but I haven’t yet read one that I thought was overly stupid or unintelligent. Some examples:
- If you were the teacher of a sex-ed class, what would be the one lesson you would teach your students that no one ever taught you?
- If you and your partner were to shed your clothes this very instant and use your discarded clothing as impromptu bondage material, which one of you would get tied up, and which one of you would be in charge? Describe, step-by-step, which items of clothing you would select and how they would be used.
- Do your best to articulate the difference in feeling between a climax achieved orally and a climax achieved during intercourse. Which do you prefer?
- What is your partner’s most amazing sexual skill? While your partner parobably already knows how much you enjoy that particular skill, take the time to go into details, describing the last time he or she used that skill, from start to finish, and what exactly you loved about it.
- After selecting a racy adult movie or Internet clip, play a random segment on the TV or computer with the sound down. While the movie plays, create your own sound effects and impromptu dialogue, playing all the characters. You can have your partner join in on the fun for additional character voices.
- This isn’t the hot potato you remember from childhood! Turn your television on and switch to a channel that is broadcasting a commercial. As the commercials play, toss a sex toy back and forth between you and your partner. When the commercials end and the station’s programming begins, the person holding the sex toy must use it on themselves until the station breaks for another commercial. Your partner may aid you in this task.
- Go to the kitchen and fetch an object (such as a whisk, rubber spatula, or pastry brush) to be paddled or flogged with. Bend over, drop your pants or lift your skirt, and let your partner take at least five swats. You might find this dare gives a whole new meaning to the joy of cooking!
As you can see above the suggestions range from goofy to sexy to kinky and back again, and while they are cheesy they are also extremely detailed and thoughtful. Choosing a card or two at random would be a great way to spice up any night of the week, or set aside a night to play multiple rounds, that is if you can get back to the game after performing some of the tasks.
This would be perfect for someone who wants to become more intimate with their partner(s) in a fun and interesting way, or the perfect gift for someone for a number of occasions from anniversary to bachelor(ette) party to birthday or holiday depending on how well you know the person. It’s informative, intelligent, entertaining, and, best of all, designed to actually enhance intimacy between players.
Type: Adult card game.
Components: one six-sided die (options on die: two truths, two dares, two wilds), truth cards, dare cards.